I'm back & am hoping to be posting more regularly (once a week is my current goal). My previous posts were done two years ago when I was taking a course on neuroethics. While I found it very thought provoking, likely the content of this blog will be changing a bit. For the past six months I've been reviewing articles for f1000.com, and really enjoyed the process - it's also part of the motivation to start blogging more as f1000 is reserved for articles that are truly commendable.
Olaf Sporns Discovering the Human Connectome H aving just returned from the OHBM (Organization for Human Brain Mapping) it's not hard to be phenomenally ecstatic about the state of research and raring to apply new techniques and theories to my data. There is much to be hopeful for; I encountered many brilliant people who are excited about their research and how neuroscience is helping to unlock the secrets of the mind. That said, there did seem to be a great deal of research that was following the coat-tails of last year's big ideas. This year the "big thing" was graph theory - the branch of mathematics and computer science that was previously applied to other fields such as social network visualization and biology by Olaf Sporns and applied to brain networks. Graph theory works on the notion that you can reduce a matrix (normally a correlation matrix) to a set of nodes (which represent specific brain regions) and edges (which represent either phys...
Comments
Post a Comment